Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blog #7 "Molehill or Mountain? What We Know and Don't Know About Sex Bias in Langauge"

I decided to blog on Henley again because her last article got me so worked up. In “Molehill or Mountain?” she somewhat redeems herself in my eyes. She actually admits there has been progress made in changing sexist language, but she says it is too insignificant to celebrate just yet. This view was refreshing to see on paper. “Molehill or Mountain?” clarified much of what I found irritating in the last essay. The main reason for my turn around is due to her continued insistence that sexist language is the culprit and not the speakers. She claims that unsuspecting, well intentioned speakers, like me, may be using sexist language without even realizing it. As much as it irks me to say it, I agree with her.

Before this class, I did not know that using singular “they” was incorrect grammar, and I use it in speech all the time. If I missed learning this small rule of grammar, I could also be using sexist language without my own knowledge. It is unnerving to realize that the rules of language are so ingrained in who I am that I do not even know why I use certain words or phrases. I still think that each person is responsible for understanding how words may affect other people, and making the choice to be a user of non-sexist language. However, after reading this article I have a new appreciation for issues and concepts that I do not fully understand

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself; grammar education in the U.S. is poor.

    ReplyDelete